Quantity: 1 available
"For almost one hundred and fifty years the Stour Navigation served Sudbury and the surrounding district very well, bringing in goods that improved life and provided the means for local goods to reach a wider market. This provided an anticipation of even better times ahead, with the prospect of the railway reaching Sudbury. 1849 to 1870 saw two railway stations being built, allowing for the rail extension onto Cambridge. An industrial area and housing were built on lands known as Backfields...Accross Backfields and Friars meadow the town ditch discharged the surface water and effluent into the river. There had been concerns aboout this for many years. The railway development of Backfields did not provide drainages across the riadways they iwned. With an additional population living in a close proximity to the ditch, the situation became far wirse." Pp.50, occasional black & white illustrations + maps and plans. Paperback, rubbed patch to front. Scarce. VG.
Title: River, Rail, Coal and the Ditch.
Publisher: Sudbury: Swaingrove Print, 2012.:
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 44853