Quantity: 1 available
A very good original booklet in card covers. pp.15 . 7.5" x 5.0". Cream card covers, lightly soiled, with printed title. Clean cream coloured pages throughout. Date of publication is unclear. Imprimatur to the verso of the front cover reads: "Nihil Obstat. Joannes Canonicus Freeland, Cens. Dep. Dioc. Northantoniensis. - Copyright of the St. Felix statue reserved for the Sculptor, H. Chas. Grimwood." * "Rev. John Freeland, of Bedford, was appointed Canon Theologian of the Cathedral Chapter of the diocese of Northampton in 1910" - See Archive, The Tablet . ** " Felix of Burgundy, also known as Felix of Dunwich (died 8 March 647 or 648), was a saint and the first bishop of the East Angles. He is widely credited as the man who introduced Christianity to the kingdom of East Anglia. Almost all that is known about the saint originates from The Ecclesiastical History of the English People, completed by Bede in about 731, and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Bede praised Felix for delivering "all the province of East Anglia from long-standing unrighteousness and unhappiness". Felix, who originated from the Frankish kingdom of Burgundy, may have been a priest at one of the monasteries in Francia founded by the Irish missionary Columbanus: the existence of a Bishop of Châlons with the same name may not be a coincidence. Felix travelled from his homeland of Burgundy to Canterbury before being sent by Honorius to Sigeberht of East Anglia's kingdom in about 630, (by sea to Babingley in Norfolk, according to local legend). On arrival in East Anglia, Sigeberht gave him a see at Dommoc (possibly Walton, Suffolk or Dunwich in Suffolk). According to Bede, Felix helped Sigeberht to establish a school in his kingdom "where boys could be taught letters". He died on 8 March 647 or 648, having been bishop for seventeen years. His relics were translated from Dommoc to Soham Abbey and then to the abbey at Ramsey.After his death, Felix was venerated as a saint: several English churches are dedicated to him. Felix's feast date is 8 March. The village of Felixkirk (in Yorkshire) and the town of Felixstowe may both have been named after the saint, though an alternative meaning for Felixstowe, "the stow of Filica", has been suggested.2 - See Wikipedia. *** The Felix Hotel, Cobbold Road, Felixstowe was built 1903 by T. W. Cotman. It is a pastiche of Holland House (London) and Hatfield House (Herts). Red brick, stone dressings, plaintile roofs..." It was later converted to apartments and re-named Harvest House. Now a Grade II listed building." - See British Listed Buildings.
Title: St. Felix Bishop Of East Anglia.
Publisher: Ipswich: Published by The Ancient House Press, Ipswich, for The Felix Hotel, Felixstowe. [no date c. 1910? ] . 0:
ISBN Number: 0
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 42879