ENGLISH BIBLE - St. Mildred Poultry - ( Authorised Version ) .
Title The Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments : translated out of the original tongues and with the former translations diligently compared and revised, by His Majesty's special command. Appointed to be read in churches.
Publisher Oxford: Printed at the University Press, by John Collingood and Co. Sold by E. Gardner, at the Oxford Bible warehouse, Paternoster Row, and by G.B. Whittaker, Ave Maria Lane; By H. Mozley, Derby; and by T. Wilson and Sons, York M.DCCC.XLI. [ 1841 ] . 0
Seller ID 44303
A very good original leather binding with presentation label to front board. 12.50" x 10.25" x 2.75". Medium English 4to. [12pp.]/pp.1211. Black morocco over thick boards. Both boards with elaborate blind-stamp decoration (gilt only showing on the rear board). Front board with faded gilt presentation label: "St. Mildred Poultry. 1843. Churchwardens, George Thomas Holder, Thomas Jolland". Spine with 5 raised bands, faded gilt decoration, but still bright gilt title: "Holy Bible". All page edges gilt. Inner gilt dentelles. Original yellow endpapers, lightly soiled. Plain free-endpapers lightly soiled. Printed and dated general title-page. Apocrypha not present. New Testament title-page (un-dated) has a separate tite page on p.925, but signatures continue uninterrupted. Clean English text in double columns and printed marginal references. Brown stain to p.1148-1149 (where an old marker ribbon was left). A well preserved 19th century Bible, with an interesting provenance. ** "St Mildred, Poultry was a parish church in the Cheap ward, of the City of London. It was rebuilt after the Great Fire of London and demolished in 1872. St Mildred in the Poultry was the burial place of the writer Thomas Tusser. The church stood on the north side of Poultry at its junction with Mansion House Street.